No funny anticdotes, no poignant stories,... no jokes. Its time to pull the curtain, fall to my knees and get on with it. Forgive me vegans for I have sinned,.. its been,.. well never since my last confession. Since I became vegan, I have been pretty good about staying true, and I haven't overtly strayed (well...), but I have pretended not to notice a few things. I feel compelled to enumerate these. Perhaps it will be therapeutic, we'll see.
- Pizza Crusts - My son never eats the crusts. I tell them they are the best part, and he says "then you eat them". So I do
- Coffee Cream - I grab the "non-dairy" creamer most of the time, but I know full well there is still dairy derivatives in there. I really need a good substitute, I cant just drink it black
- Milk - Ok, I really don't drink milk, but I'm the one who tests if the milk in the fridge (for the kids) is still good. I always did this by taking a swig. Last time I did this it was spoiled and I about hurled all over the kitchen. Serves me right
- Sushi - I've been better about this, but you've read the blog. Last two times I went though were all vegan
- Fish Sauce - Well not directly, its not like I took a big drink of it, but admittedly the last few times I had Thai, I failed to point this out when I ordered my curries. In a related story, miso soup is generally made with bonito stock, which clearly is ng. I usually get miso soup with my sushi.
- Butter/Ghee - I clearly order the vegetarian options when ordering Indian, but I don't always inquire about the use of butter. I've also melted a little over popcorn, not to mention the movie theater. Does that make me a bad person?
- McDonalds French Fries - Ok, I only did this a few times, but I have done it. (That does make me a bad person)
- Subway Veggie Patties - I discovered about a month in that Subway had veggie patties, that evening I googled, and discovered they were not vegan. I've picked them up a few times since, despite knowing this. In my defense, I've only done this out of desperation.
- Pasta/Sauce - My mother-in-law is a great cook. I'm pretty sure her pasta was made with eggs, I'm damn sure the sauce was cooked with meatballs. I just avoid the meatballs, but the rest is clearly not vegan.
- Oreo's - Bones,... plain and simple. Oreo's are bony.
- The bottoms of cans of Mini Ravioli - Very minor one, but I tend to clean off the spoons when I'm packing the kids lunch. Ok, I was reaching a bit on this
Just needed to get this off my chest. As a result, I started thinking about all of the things in my life I've dined on that I am sorry about. I wont even begin to enumerate those now.