Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sushi, my mistress.............

Lets just get this out in the open now.  In my pursuit of a vegan lifestyle, I have left out one important point.  I have internally declared Sushi to be off limits.  Don't ask me how I justify it, but I have, and I have developed a rather effective guilt suppression mechanism to deal with it.  I allowed myself to pick one thing that I could "keep".  Like on survivor when you get to take something.  At least that was how they did it on the first few seasons, I haven't watched it  in years, but I digress.

I have had Sushi about a half dozen times in the now 4 months of this adventure.  I started off heavy in the fish (Toro is my ultimate), but have noticed lately that I am seeking out the vegetarian only versions, which I am finding quite enjoyable (I'm justifying now, can you tell?).  I haven't yet cut out the fish entirely.  It is hard, with sacrificing so much, I have kept one mistress, and she is cold and raw!  When I'm enjoying sushi, I am on top of the world, and I feel as though I can conquer anything.  She makes me feel strong and powerful, young and sexy, smart and rich.  Yes, I feel all these things, and it is as though the night will never end..... but just like that, there is nothing left but some pickled ginger, and a bit of wasabi on the plate.  The Asahi has run dry, and the bill is coming.  My heart begins to pound, as I know reality is coming back, and I have to walk out, and go home smelling of vinegar, ginger, nori, and the soles of Toro, Sake, Unagi lingering on me... who is this person staring back at me in the mirror?

I think I can handle it, but then life goes on the next day, and I am off for yet another daily struggle trying to understand my life choice, what it really means, why I'm doing it.  How do I justify my little indiscretions?  Will I ultimately find myself on the path to righteousness?  Yes we are talking about food.  I told you I took it seriously

No comments:

Post a Comment